Welcome!


Welcome Friends! I hope you enjoy tasting these teaching and travel tidbits.
Come along with me as I attempt to navigate my way through a new country, school system, and life for a year!


Thursday, July 11, 2013

Surprise!

I thought I was headed to a regular weekly staff meeting after school today, but when I got to the music room, I found that in addition to our staff, the parents of my class were there.  Hmm... that's strange.  Then all the kids from my class came filing in.  Okay, something is up, this is far more interesting than the usual meetings.  A video appeared on the screen, showing all the children in my class and some of the highlights of our year, set to John Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane".  When the still shots are complete, the video continued with my class performing "So Long, Farewell" which was so adorable!!  Some of the parents were in cahoots with my student teacher and teachers aides and spent the 3 days I was in Belfast having the kids make the video and some other special gifts.  No wonder none of the work I had left for them to do was completed when I got back!  I thought my usually wonderful student teacher had just slacked off for a few days!  

 As if this was not enough, I was then given an invitation to a farewell tea party, beginning that very moment out on the playground!  The area was festooned with the Union Jack and set up with tables full of goodies;  sandwiches, pizza, strawberries, all kinds of snacks, Pimms and  these adorable Pete the Cat cupcakes.
Our class loves Pete the Cat!
               

                            After enjoying all the special treats, I got to open the wonderful parting gifts!


A Bunting with each Child's Handprint!


A Book of Highlights from our Year!

Must be Pretty Funny!

There you are, kiddos!

Did you all know about this?


 There was also a fabulous "word cloud" of phrases the parents associated with me, which was really cool!


One of the mums made this adorable Winnie the Pooh cake!

Winnie the Pooh holds a special place in my heart, and the
mums had remembered me mentioning this.
Have you ever seen anything so cute?
I wish you could read the words, but it's a story called Ms. Tuisku the Teacher
in the style of the Pete the Cat book.  So clever!!



I am still in shock and awe over all the work that was done to pull off this wonderful surprise!
It was an afternoon I will never forget!  I am so blessed to have spent my UK year with such awesome kids, staff and parents!  At the end of the party, one of the mastermind mums asked me if I liked surprises.  Well, I liked this one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think!