Welcome!


Welcome Friends! I hope you enjoy tasting these teaching and travel tidbits.
Come along with me as I attempt to navigate my way through a new country, school system, and life for a year!


Friday, August 3, 2012

Next Steps



Fulbrighters at the Capital Building


This week all the American Fulbrighters and their international exchange partners met in Washington D.C. for an orientation before heading off to our host schools.  It was great to see the teachers I had met in May and to finally meet those I had only known as tiny photos on Facebook until now.  Of course it was most exciting to meet my exchange partner, Emma Davies!  She is just as lovely in person as she has been over email and Skype these past months.  Our group was offered the opportunity to tour the capital city one afternoon, which was really fun and educational, despite occasional downpours.  Throughout the week, Fulbright alumni shared their wisdom with us  as well as  the team at IIE (International Institute of Education) and our sponsors from the British Council. One of the highlights of the week was the "Cultural Fair" last night on the 14th floor of our hotel (with amazing views of DC and Georgetown) where all the country groups shared information and displays of their home culture.  Lots of fun times, including a British Pub Quiz, an American Pageant, and lively singing and dancing led by the delegations from India, Mexico, Ireland and Scotland.  Many of the teachers head to the airport today, however I'm taking this opportunity to meet up with my husband, Carl, tonight (whom I haven't seen since June 9th) to spend time together in D.C., Harper's Ferry and Williamsburg for a few days.  Then Emma and I will fly together to Sacramento so I can help get her settled into the classroom at Sierra Hills and have a bit of time with my California friends and family, including my darling baby granddaughter, Anna Joy.  I'm one step closer to my UK adventure! 
With my exchange partner, Emma Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think!